• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

working out the 1901 census

libbygirlxxx

hello felow researchers i was hoping someone can help me work out something,on my g,g,g grans census return she was livivng in orford barracks warrington these are the following names:
annie millward 1874 head 28 born nova scotia
william millward 1895 son 6 born nova scotia
robert millward 1897 son 4 born barbadoes s/africa
vincent millward 1899 son 2 born capel s/africa
harry kikland 1894 son 7 born nova scotia
jenny kirkland 1895 daughter 6 born nova scotia
amelia kirkland 1896 daughter 4 born st lucia
arthur kirkland 1899 son 2 born capel

i was hoping someone could tell me why both the kirkland and millward children were born pretty much at the same time and the same places and were both her sons and daughters please help because i cannot work this out thanks xxx

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Libby,

Even though I have access to the 1901 census these are not showing, but at a guess it could be the name Kirkland has been mistranscribed.

Julie

libbygirlxxx

thanks for that you would find them living in warrington cheshire but i have found that amelia and jenny kirkland later moved back to nova scotia and got married there so i know that there is no mistake but i just cannnot understand how they are wrote down as annie millward children and born the same years and places as them
again thanks for taking a look xx

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi Libbygirlxxx,

I would hazard a guess that they are 2 separate families!? They could well be related through their Mother annie millward 1874 head 28 born nova scotia, in as much that maybe she had a brother or sister who had died and maybe she had taken the family on and later went to Warrington!
I would of thought that seeing that the children are of a similar age, that that would discount Annie Millward as the natural mother. Notice also there is no Father (head).

Just a guess, but there could be obviously other explanations.

I would try and back track to find the birth details of Annie Millward and track her and her siblings and family. But maybe it may of been a relation of the missing Father?

Good luck, and let us know how you get on,

Regards,
Dave