• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

World war 1 munitions factory

My great uncle was killed in a munitions factory fire in 1917. My grandmother said it was in or near Scotland. There is no death record for him and I am wondering if it would have been at White Lund. Is there anyway to find out?

Hi,
We have full records relating to deaths at Church in Lancashire, also Munitions works in Ashton under Lyne, Gretna on the borders of Scotland and England plus about 20 other works explosions and fires.
If you can supply any details such as name, age, date of birth or even last known address we will happily check for you,

Hi
George Henry Pike, died 12 March 1917 following an explosion in an acid area, Acid Plant Building, HM Cordite Factory Gretna. This building was part of the Dornock Acids Section located near Eastriggs Township. After the explosion he was taken to HM Factory Gretna Hospital. Whilst not confirmed by the coroners inquest it appears that was where he died. At the inquest Dr Welsh, one of the Factory Doctors and a nurse from the hospital are listed as witnesses. George Henry's address at the time of the inquest was given as C4 Eastriggs Township which would have been a factory provided residence.
Unfortunately we do not know where he was buried although it might be worth checking Dumfries or Gretna.
The inquest documents are in the National Archives in Edinburgh if that helps. I can supply the document number if required.
Trust above helps?

Hi,
Thanks so much! I was always curious about George Henry. My mom said he worked at a munitions factory, there was a fire, he got out safely but went back in to rescue some women, they got out okay but not him. He went to Canada, then to Alaska where he lived and applied for citizenship, however, he came back to England and joined the military, got out of the military and then I hit a "brick wall" with him. Again, thanks so much for the information. Yes, I would like the document number.

Maureen

Hi
You will need to ask for SCS/ 37/ 1917/ 7. The document is not that long, nor that informative. Unfortunately it does not mention anything about a fire nor any rescue bid which I would have expected. Given other bravery awards presented following acts such as you described I would have also expected possibly a posthumous award but again nothing is showing; however it might be worth re-checking the London Gazette but remember bravery awards for WW1 munitions factory incidents took years to appear so look up to 1922.
Good luck with your investigations

Hi,
Thank you so much for the information you were able to find.
The rescue story may have just been family lore, who knows. It is odd that I can't find death certificate information on Ancestry - now to try and find where he is buried will be my next challenge. He seems an interesting guy. He left England, went to Canada for a while, then to Alaska where he applied for citizenship, then back to England where he enlisted in the military and then to work in this munitions factory.
Again, many thanks.
Maureen