• Important Update: Our New Email Domain

Please note: We've updated our email domain to familyhistory.email. All our emails will be from this domain.

• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

World War One Missing Persons

KatieO

From
England
Hello everybody,
I am new to the Forum and would like to ask if anyone can point me in the right direction please.
I have been researching my grandmothers family and would like to find out how her brother David Leary died.
He was a Private in the 1st Royal Fisiliers and wes reported missing in action in France on or about 29th January 1918.
Rumour has it that he perished along with the rest of his regiment when trapped in a wood which the german set alight.
I should like to know if this is true so if anyone can tell me where I can research this I would be grateful
Many thank
KatieO

Hi Katie

A warm welcome to FHUK forums.

Did you get his date of death from Ancestry? They have WW1 service records but not all have survived. They also have medal card records for WW1 soldiers.

If his records havent survived then he might be mentioned in a newspaper or obituary.

Ben

Found this which is more or less as you new.

David Leary
Residenhce Finsbury Barracks
Death date 21 Sept 1918
Enlistment location Stepney
Rank Private
Regiment Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)
Battalion 9th Battalion
Number S/7926
Killed in action
Theatre of war Aldershot

Hi Katie,

With what I can understand the 9th Battalion Formed at Hounslow on 21 August 1914 as part of K1 and attached to 36th Brigade, 12th (Eastern) Division. Landed in France in May 1915. The 12th Eastern Division fought
(The Battles of the Hindenburgh Line) at the Battle of Epehy which took place on the 18th September 1918. Have a look on the Long Long Trail site and see what you think.

http://www.1914-1918.net/12div.htm

Also this is a link to the Great War Forum.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/

Back