• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

World War Two Service Records?

ral91

Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if there are any records about those who served during the War, as I know there are certain rules about info on those who are still alive etc.

However, I am trying to gather more infomation on my paternal grandfather who died in the early '60's.

I literally know next to nothing about him although he would have been 19 when the war broke out- perfect age to join up I suppose- and I have seen an old photograph of him in a military uniform and on the back is written "Cairo". (he doesn't look in his early 20's, though, and I think it could have been something to do with Suez ??)

So are there any records that I can search that may be able to tell me whether he did serve in the military or not?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan.

ral91

Valued Member
Hi Dave,

I did have a look but couldn't make much sense of it, to be honest.

These are his details:
Name: James Smith (or Jim, as he was known, I believe.)
Born: 10 April, 1920
Marriage (if this is of any relevance) 13 November, SS Mary and Michael's Church, Stepney to Rose Anne Fannon or Anne Rose Fannon (she changed her name around at some point)

In 1948 he lived in Stepney
Died: 3 November, 1963.

ral91

Valued Member
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help, anyway.

I'm not surprised; he proves to be quite an elusive character in life and now in death, too! :rolleyes: :mad:

ronmanley

Hi Dave

Just been looking for James all I can find is the following, but not any service history - sorry

James Smith
Birth 10 Apr 1920 in London, England
Death 3 Nov 1963 in London, England
Married Rose A Fannon Birth 9 Dec 1921 in Mile End, Greater London
Children - One living son
Parents of James were James Smith and Catherine Neill
1948 Residence 45 Midlothian Road, Stepney

Regards - Ron

ronmanley

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if there are any records about those who served during the War, as I know there are certain rules about info on those who are still alive etc.

However, I am trying to gather more information on my paternal grandfather who died in the early '60's.

I literally know next to nothing about him although he would have been 19 when the war broke out- perfect age to join up I suppose- and I have seen an old photograph of him in a military uniform and on the back is written "Cairo". (he doesn't look in his early 20's, though, and I think it could have been something to do with Suez ??)

So are there any records that I can search that may be able to tell me whether he did serve in the military or not?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan.
Hi Ryan

Just read your post

You say that you have a photograph of your grandfather in uniform, does it show any insignia on the uniform, badges etc. It might be a clue to which service he was with. That's got to be a starting point.

Service records can be obtained, but because of the freedom of information act, it allows the authority's to withhold certain details. (i.e. details of injuries etc), if they feel that the information will cause distress to the family.

I've had this with service records of an uncle who was shot down in the war in 1945.

If,as you say he looks older than early twenty's, it could be the Suez conflict around early/mid 50's

If I can be of assistance , come back to me

Regards - Ron

pejay

Valued Member
WW11 records are as far as i am aware still held with the MOD You can write to them and request info. I think you have to prove relationship etc, and I think it is fairly expensive. You should be able to get the address from a search engine :)

ral91

Valued Member
Hi Ryan

Just read your post

You say that you have a photograph of your grandfather in uniform, does it show any insignia on the uniform, badges etc. It might be a clue to which service he was with. That's got to be a starting point.

Service records can be obtained, but because of the freedom of information act, it allows the authority's to withhold certain details. (i.e. details of injuries etc), if they feel that the information will cause distress to the family.

I've had this with service records of an uncle who was shot down in the war in 1945.

If,as you say he looks older than early twenty's, it could be the Suez conflict around early/mid 50's

Regards - Ron
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the offer of help - Need to find the photo and have a good look, and will get back to you. Cannot remember where I put it!

Ryan

ral91

Valued Member
Hi Ryan

Just read your post

Regards - Ron
Hi Ron,

I've had another look at the photo. Although there is nothing distinctive about the uniform and I can't see any insignia or badges, on the back of the photograph is written "Cairo, April 1944" So WW2 obviously. I've also found another picture of him in Italy in 1945. Do you think that it is too soon for them to release info on people regarding WW2?

Ryan

World War 2 Army Service Records

(Please read these instructions carefully to prevent delay)

As mentioned earlier all Army Service Records covering the Second World War and up to present date are closed for 75 yrs. This is real terms means you will have to wait until 2020 before you will be able to view anyone's Service Record. Fortunately the restriction is not in place for

1) The owner of the document ie. The Serviceman/woman involved (If you are then you may grant permission in writing for another to obtain your record. )
2) The Official next-of-kin for that Serviceman/woman. If that Serviceman/woman has died.If the Serviceman died within service then proof of death is not required. If he died out of service then written confirmation (such as a copy of the death certificate) must be obtained and sent withn your application.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/prose01/WW2_Army_ServiceRecord.htm

ral91

Valued Member
Thanks gortonboy. Not sure if you'll know, but the Next of Kind section confuses me a little. He is my grandfather, but my father is still alive so is he the next of kin or do I have permission to obtain service records through myself? Grandchildren are third down on the list.

ronmanley

Hi

What you will have to do is to get a signed letter of Authority from your father stating that you are acting on his behalf to obtain the service records. Then submit that letter with the completed forms

It then will not be a problem

Regards - Ron

ral91

Valued Member
Hi Ryan

No I don't think your need it.

On the letter of Authority, make sure its states 'your full name' as a son acting for 'Fathers Name'.

All the best - Ron
Thanks, Ron. Sorry, I must be bothering you now, but I've never done this before - do I include the letter of authority and details of my grandfather when writing to request the form to fill out? Or do I send all that back with the form?

ronmanley

No worries - It's not a problem

Normally all the services have the required forms on line, downloadable as a PDF. Here it is
http://www.veterans-uk.info/pdfs/service_records/army_kinship.pdf

Print this form. And fill in as much as you can, on the Kinship Form , tick Son (that's your father as the nearest living relative and enter his name) Letter of Authority covers you to act on his behalf

Any problems come back to me.

Ron

Last edited:

ral91

Valued Member
Hi Ron, me again. Just wanted to ask if you had to send a death certificate of the serviceman/woman? On the website it says, " If he died out of service then written confirmation (such as a copy of the death certificate) must be obtained and sent withn your application." My grandfather did die out of service so I'm assuming I'd have to send his death certificate?