• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WW1 Ancestry military records is that all?

duckweed

Loyal Member
I just wondered if the records on ancestry are of all available records. Its just my ancestors from Cumberland and Lancashire don't seem to have any records for any of them other than possible medal record but as no details of place of origin can't tell which is which. I've found quite a lot of info on my husbands Yorkshire ancestors so wonder if there are still details to come or whether for some reason Lancashire and Cumberland records got destroyed more than others.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I just wondered if the records on ancestry are of all available records. Its just my ancestors from Cumberland and Lancashire don't seem to have any records for any of them other than possible medal record but as no details of place of origin can't tell which is which. I've found quite a lot of info on my husbands Yorkshire ancestors so wonder if there are still details to come or whether for some reason Lancashire and Cumberland records got destroyed more than others.
The best way DW, if you know the regt, is go direct to their Regimental Museum. You can get that from the medal cards if they have survived, as long as it's your rellie. Still worth contacting the museum, even if only to eliminate him from your search.

There were huge amounts destroyed, and even some of the records shown on An****ry just have one page with half a name or a random number on and the burnt edges. So I would guess they have them all up.

Steve.:)

duckweed

Loyal Member
My problem is that I have 3 Elijah Prescotts in WW1, a rare name combination but no way of knowing which is which. Also a John H Prescott who I know was in the Royal Engineers, often known as Jack. Jack my grandfather told me of some of his experiences in the war which ended when they realised they were short of electricians at home. All electricians were asked to step forward then all those with advance qualifications which he had as he had worked on the trams. He had to sit an exam and then was sent home. I wondered when that was.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
My problem is that I have 3 Elijah Prescotts in WW1, a rare name combination but no way of knowing which is which. Also a John H Prescott who I know was in the Royal Engineers, often known as Jack. Jack my grandfather told me of some of his experiences in the war which ended when they realised they were short of electricians at home. All electricians were asked to step forward then all those with advance qualifications which he had as he had worked on the trams. He had to sit an exam and then was sent home. I wondered when that was.
So thats 3 emails, and possibly a 4th, to the relevant Army Museum then DW.
It's a bit like having to order 3 birth certs, not knowing which is the right one, and if your lucky you get a 'hit' with the first email.
Easy this FH stuff.:eek: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
But would they have anything more?
I got a huge result for my rellie. Battle orders of the day he was killed, and almost a location, within 200 yards of where he fell. A list of the some of the men he served with and officers who commanded him.
He did ask for a voluntary donation, which I galdly forwarded. I'm not saying the same level of commitment is accross the 'board', as regards Army Museums, but I'm happy.

Although not a complete service record, it gave me so much satisfaction. The curator/archivist was an absolute diamond, and I was also able to give him some info that he could add to there own archives.

It doesn't cost a bean to ask, so go for it. If you don't get a result then so be it. But you have to try. Remember Robert the Bruce and his spider. Try, try and try again.:)