• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Ww1 Asc

I have decided my approach to questions, and searches for information relating to my Grandfathers WWI history to be done in stages,which will hopefully allow in depth details.Have spent alot of time (4 years) trying to obtain more detailed information, and now hit a wall.
My Grandfather W.J Davies was enlisted 19th December 1916, he was posted to Mechanical Transport Depot, Army Service Corps, Grove Park, Lee, London. SE. on 21st December 1916. Does anyone know what posting would have entailed in respect of training, and future attachment to a unit? I assume he was at Grove Park until he embarked at Southampton 23rd April 1917, and disembarked at Rouen 24th April 1917. The ship was 'SS Londonderry'. Hope there is more info out there.

Marcel.

Hi Julie,

Thank you for your guidance on Grove Park. I have checked the link out, and based on information gained will search internet to build a picture of Grove Park's being for WW1 training depot.

Regards
Marcel

I have just established that my grandfather joined the ASC MT either late 1915 or early 1916 aged about 30. He served to the end of the war. I have a photo which an elderly relative says is him carrying a pith helmet and wearing shorts. My relative says that my grandfather served in Egypt. Any advice as to how I might check this out?

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Captex05,

A warm welcome to FHUK.

Ancestry.co.uk have WW1 British Army service records/pensions records and WW1 British Army Medal Rolls Index Cards online, bear in mind that not all service records have survived. This is a pay per view site but they have a 14 day free trial.