• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WW1 Miners

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I watched a prog on TV the other day, where they were excavating a WW1 trench system, close to the Menin Ridge. And a bit of info the popped up, was the use of Miners for digging the tunnels to plant mines under the enemy lines.
Apparently there were about 20,000 miners used during WW1. These were not Army personell, their only purpose was to dig.

I would imagine they had some sort of basic training, but they certainly knew what they were doing.

Hat's off to these men, more unsung heroes.

Steve.:)

leefer

Loyal Member
Hi Steve..have you read the book Birdsong...by Sebastian Faulkes...i wont give nothing away but its about tunnelers during WW1.....its one of my favourite ever books.......have a read you will love it...regards to you Lee.

Can you remember what the TV programme was called and what channel it was on, P.risboy? I hope it is repeated or maybe a DVD is available?

My gf was a miner and he fought at the Battle of Menin Road Ridge during Sept 1917. He actually fought in many battles along the Somme and the rest of the Western Front, it was a miracle he ever survived. I have the war diary for his Battalion which I am transcribing but I haven't got as far as 1917 yet. From what I have read so far the men were sent on various courses whilst over in France, trench warfare, gas attacks, tunnelling, MG's & TM's etc.

He was in the 16th Battalion of the King's Royal Rifle Corps (Church Lad's Brigade) which served in the 33rd Division all throughout the war.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Can you remember what the TV programme was called and what channel it was on, P.risboy? I hope it is repeated or maybe a DVD is available?

My gf was a miner and he fought at the Battle of Menin Road Ridge during Sept 1917. He actually fought in many battles along the Somme and the rest of the Western Front, it was a miracle he ever survived. I have the war diary for his Battalion which I am transcribing but I haven't got as far as 1917 yet. From what I have read so far the men were sent on various courses whilst over in France, trench warfare, gas attacks, tunnelling, MG's & TM's etc.

He was in the 16th Battalion of the King's Royal Rifle Corps (Church Lad's Brigade) which served in the 33rd Division all throughout the war.
Hi Mich,
This was the programme I watched. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/time-team-specials/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1

I hope it's of some use to you.

Thanks for the link Steve, have just watched the episode. Quite fascinating.

I wonder how many people think that the mud was unique to the war period? It's still as bad now judging by the state the TimeTeam were in when they resurfaced. I suppose working below sea level wouldn't help either.

Thanks again for the link.

Mich

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29007475@N08/3530222917/

Unreal what carnage the diggers could cause....Hooge is now a memorial lake i think.
It's unreal Lee, all that digging for months on end, and then they blow it up. Shame 'ol Guy Fawkes didn't get the result he wanted.

But digging through all what was going on, the sodden earth, waiting for a collapse, gasping for air, the sweat and toil.
I just can't percieve it, no matter how much I read or see.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n13/n68125.jpg

Steve...£4.83p from Amazon......guna badger you untill youve read it...and given me an honest review!
Blimey Lee, I wouldn't send you shopping for a bargain. There's one on there for 1p and £2.75 postage.:biggrin:

I'll have to get the audio book, so thats £9 + postage. I'll have to sell a bit of my body, but I'll get it mate.:)
I just had a thought, I wonder if I can get it from my Library here in the emerald Isle. Will check that out, as it works slightly different here.

gibbo

Loyal Member
Blimey Lee, I wouldn't send you shopping for a bargain. There's one on there for 1p and £2.75 postage.:biggrin:

I'll have to get the audio book, so thats £9 + postage. I'll have to sell a bit of my body, but I'll get it mate.:)
I just had a thought, I wonder if I can get it from my Library here in the emerald Isle. Will check that out, as it works slightly different here.

Sell a bit of your body:2fun: :2fun: :2fun: Auction it, might get more and then could buy bag of chips to munch on while you listen to the story.
9 pound plus postage and a bag of chippies, which part would auction for about 12 pound?

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member