• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WW1 Question

Hi
This is more of a general question.

My Great Grandfather was aged about 22 when the war broke out and I would assume that he would have enlisted. Was it unusual for a 22 year old who was healthy to have not joined up or been called up.

Any assistance with this would be great - also where is the best place to search for war records?
Thanks

oznannie

Loyal Member
Hi :) you don't say where your Grandad was living in WW1.
He could have had a reserved occupation perhaps in shipbuilding etc, lots of other occupations.
He may have had poor eye sight, flat fleet, deafness, any number of things.

oznannie

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Katie,

It all depends what his trade was at the time of his possible enlistment. He could have been in a 'protected' job.

Also there are different levels of 'healthy', it all depends on his condition at the time and not how he appeared in later life.

There was quite a lot of WW1 records destroyed during WW2, through bombing, and could be damaged or lost completely.

If you would care to post his details, I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction.

Steve.:)

Thanks for your response.

There are 2 people I am interested in - my great grandfather and his brother.

So:

Edward Lee Browning born 1891 in Leytonstone. Married Evelyn in 1916 in Coventry

Harry S Browning born 1882 in London and married in Cambridge in 1913. Eventually ended up in Wandsworth

Any assistance gratefully received
Katie

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Thanks for your response.

There are 2 people I am interested in - my great grandfather and his brother.

So:

Edward Lee Browning born 1891 in Leytonstone. Married Evelyn in 1916 in Coventry

Harry S Browning born 1882 in London and married in Cambridge in 1913. Eventually ended up in Wandsworth

Any assistance gratefully received
Katie
I assume this is the family, that are in Peterborough in 1901.

Steve.:)

Hi
Yes they are the ones. We have a bit of a puzzle going on Edward Lee my grandfather.

We now know - thanks to you lovely people - that he was living in Cambridge in 1911. But we have a bit of a blank on him. He always told the story that he went to Perse School in Cambridge and then went to University but having checked that out seems to not to be true! We know that in 1916 he married my great grandmother - due to pregnancy! Just seeing if I can find any trace of him between 1911 and 1916 - with WW1 thought it was a possibility that he had enlisted.

Thanks again
Katie