• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WW1 Request

Hi

Looking for some help please?

I have been told that one of my Great Grandmothers brothers died in WW1 - having been killed by a land mine.

I am not sure which brother it was so if anyone could help that would be great. Details below:

Frederick A Phillips Born 1889 Foleshill Warwickshire
Walter Phillips Born 1897 also in Foleshill

Any help much appreciated
Katie

dochines

Valued Member
Dear katie,

The best place to start is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Web site. just put CWGC in google.

You will find there were 2 FA Phillips that were English who died in WWI , there was also an Australian and a Canadian

There were quite a lot of W Phillips that sadly lost their lives. some of the entries give the parents or other next of kin. it will be a mattter of looking at each one to see if you can make fit. Knowing their parents names will help considerably

good luck with the searches. If you find it be sure to print out a commemorative certificate from the site. They are very tasteful

Hello Katie,

You may also like to try posting on the Great War Forum. It is a mine of WW1 information. There might be someone that would be able to help you on there. You would have to register though. They are a friendly bunch of people.

Mark.

ronmanley

Hi Katie

I found these two F.A Phillips details and listed below, there is no listing for Walter Phillips.

Name: PHILLIPS, FRANK ANDREW
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry
Death: 16/08/1917
Service No: 266114
Parents: Son of Andrew and Emma E. Phillips, of 3A, Halton Village, Aylesbury.
Casualty: Commonwealth War Dead
Memorial Ref: Panel 96 to 98.
Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL - Belguim

Or

PHILLIPS , F A
Private 1813
15/08/1916
Aged: 22yrs
22 West Somerset Yeomanry United Kingdom
CAIRO WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

I hope this helps you

Best Regards - Ron