• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WW1 Seaforth Highlanders - Records for Donald MacInnes

I am looking for any information/records about Donalds time in the Seaforth Highlanders. He was my grandfather and I only found out a couple years ago (from his obituary given to me by rellies) about him being in the first world war. He apparently put his age up I think to get away from home. I have one photo of him in uniform and the backdrop looks similar to that in the Lost Digger photos from Vignacourt in France. His obituary said that he had a lot of service in France and then after the war became a merchant seaman. His full name is Donald John Maclean MacInnes born 1899. I have made searches but haven't been able to find records. Him putting his age up doesn't help.
Many thanks if anyone can help with this.
Mary:)

gortonboy

Loyal Member
Hi,,I can see a medal card for a Donald MacInnes of the Seaforth Highlanders.
this man has 2 numbers 6444 and 242179.
Unfortunately,medal cards do not help to identify individuals,you would need someone with access to Ancestry to see if a service or pension record survives for a Donald McInnes,but 60 percent of WW1 service records were destroyed during bombing in WW2.So you would have to get lucky. :)

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Donald John MacLean MacInnes
Birth 29 May 1899 in Inverness, Invernessshire
Death 8 March 1977 in Bowen, Queensland, Australia.

Father.
Donald John McInnes
Birth abt 1875 in Harris, Inverness Shire
Death 1901 - 1916 in Scotland

Mother.
Jeannie Jessie 'Jane' McLean
Birth abt 1878 in Lanarkshire County, Scotland, United Kingdom
Death 27 June 1947 in Kilmuir-Easter, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland.

This information is from a tree(Steel Family Tree), on Ancestry, and they have some of his military records.
They are back to Donald MacInnes. Birth abt 1812 in Harris, Inverness, Scotland.

Steve.:)

Hey Steve, the Steel Family Tree on Ancestry is mine. I have really got stuck on Donald John Maclean MacInnes' fathers death date and also where and when his sister Catherine Jane 'Jeannie' died. Finding this information for Mum and her brothers and sister would answer some questions for them. Many thanks for any help. :)
Regards
Mary

Hi Mary,
there are several Seaforth Highlanders in the Vignacourt 'Lost Diggers' collection that will eventually go to the Australian War Memorial. Is the photo on your profile page the one of Donald that you think may be from that collection?
Janda

Hi Janda

Yes that is grandad's photo. My aunt had it and as you can see the original was very deteriorated. I have looked a few times on the Lost Diggers facebook and have seen a lot of the same photos each time while looking for new ones. It would help if they were catagorized:) It would make searching for particular countries a lot easier as I have a Australian gg uncle who died in Belgium but for all I know he may have been in France and had his photo taken there as well. I have checked with british war records but there doesn't seem to be any paperwork for him. The other thing is that his mother remarried in 1916 so that made me wonder if his father was in the war and died as well. His name was also Donald McInnes and he was born on Harris about 1875.

Regards
Mary

Hi Mary,
The entire collection of photographs that Channel 7 has is about 4,500, of which about 1200 are British serving men. As yet they haven't posted these to their website. When the Memorial receives the plates from Channel 7 and have done the necessary work to accession them, we will gradually add images to our website and you will be able to search at least by main nationality. This will start towards the end of this year.

I went through this morning and noted at least 50 Scotsmen but I didn't see anyone who might match your relative. The backdrop in your photo is not the same as the 'Lost Diggers' one so perhaps he did not travel through that town?

Keep a watch on the Australian War Memorial's website www.awm.gov.au for further information about the collection and the research we are undertaking.

Regards, Janda