• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WW1 uniform

hi there
I was wondering if anyone here could help in identifying my grandfathers uniform in this picture in any way. I have tried and failed to find him on ancestry WW1 records - I don't know his regiment or rank, this rather touching photo with his wife and 2 children was taken when he was on leave in about 1916 to attend the funeral of his youngest child who had died of whooping cough. His name was James Delaney, born 31.8.1972, and he served in the Boer War and WW1. He died in 1946. He was born in Bolton Lancashire where he lived all his life (apart from the army)in an Irish Catholic family I would like to find out what medals he won and where he served.
Many thanks for any pointers - I know the photo's poor quality it's the only one I have of him.
Kathy Doyle

admin

Loyal Member
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.familyhistory.uk.com
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the description, but the date for his birth must be wrong!!:)
You quoted:
His name was James Delaney, born 31.8.1972, and he served in the Boer War and WW1.
Please update with the correct date and I am sure all the mebers will have a go for you.

We could really do with a larger photo. can you please send me one - Send me a PM to Admin so I can arrange a bigger photo to be shown here.

Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave Silly me - I meant 1872 not 1972 of course! Sorry about that. I added the pic as a link to my ancestry site as I cant see how to insert a file - I just get asked for a web addess- I can only see insert image or insert link? Am i missing something?
kathy

darkcrystal

Valued Member
Kathy,

if you can post the picture up here it would help, it is very easy to do..just follow my instructions...

Step one:

Goto Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

register and create account

Step two:

Once you have an account and you would like to 'upload' a photo from your computer to Photobucket

goto your PB account and sign in

this should bring up your own page, this is how it should look (without the red/blue circles)

If you then click on 'browse' (red circle)
this will enable you to look in your computers folders for your pictures

Once you have found the picture, click on it, this will transfer the file path to P/bucket
Then click upload button (blue circle)

You can also now upload three pictures at a time, just repeat browse, for the remaining two lines (under the red circle) and THEN upload.

after a few moments the image will be uploaded to P/bucket

scroll down the page, and you will see a small picture with 4 lines underneath it, like this below

the bottom line is the line you need to left click on with your mouse,(in RED) This will then 'highlight' the IMG in BLUE

it says

Share URL
URL Link
HTML Tag
IMG Code [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/Darksecretz_2006/bucketremake.png[/IMG[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black](I have left off the last ] so that you can see the code, that you will Copy/paste into the thread.)[/COLOR]

once it is highlighted, 'right click' on it 'copy' then, goto the thread where you want the picture to be,
within the post you are to reply in, right click and 'paste'

it will be something like this
[IMG]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/Darksecretz_2006/bucketremake.png[/IMG

add text below and post on thread

thats all there is to it
I hope that I have clarified this for you, any problems, just ask and i'll try to help

darkcrystal

Valued Member
Kathy,

do you know his parents names? (Walter/Sarah?) I presume you have his marriage cert?

I have found a birth Ref but if you did order it you could specify his fathers name (if you have it from his marriage cert) and perhaps his marriage cert might tell you which regiment he served in?

Unfortunately he is only described as "labourer" on marriage cert and censuses - his father was John Delaney b 1840 and his mother was Catherine Kelly b 1835. not much help really. thanks for tinkering with the picture tho :)

Kathy