• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WW1 Uniform

Hello,
I am trying to identify a family photograph of a young man in uniform. On each sleeve is a wide cloth band of two colours (as the photo is sepia I can only say that the upper part of the band is lighter than the lower). I guess that it is of a non-combatant. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Thank you Steve,

Unfortunately I have no idea just how I can upload the photo - the rules say that I cannot post attachments. More help required I guess.

Hennypenny

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Hennypenny,

It looks like he has 'spurs' on his boots. So possibly horse drawn artillery or cavalry connection. We will have to investigate further.
Do you have any more information at all.

Steve.:)

Last edited:
Hello Steve,

Thanks for keeping an eye out for my photo.

I have been guessing that he was a non-combatant, mainly because I have a War Graves record for a member of the family who died/was killed during the war but was with the 2nd London Sanitary Coy. in the RAMC. Mentioned at the Ismalia War Memorial Cemetery in Egypt.

I did wonder about the bandolier but it was the armband that made me think that he may have been non-combatant - it's the only time that I have seen that on a uniform

Regards,
Penny

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Penny,

He could have belonged to the RAMC, its hard to say as the cap badge isnt clear. I would think if it was RAMC that he could possibily be a stretcher carrier. He looks under age to be in the army, my grandad took 4yrs off his age he was 14/15 when he joined up.

Have a look at the link to RAMC cap badges and see what you think.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?h...c&rlz=1R2GPEA_en-GB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

juliejtp

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Penny,

Increased the size of the picture the cap badge to me dosnt look like RAMC and he is wearing spurs as Steve said.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I enlarged the photo and he certainly is wearing spurs so I guess my supposition was way out.
I do find the thought that he may have been in a cavalry unit a bit strange as, from my limited knowledge of them, they were very much London/Surrey folk, but one never knows.

I shall try the link to the badges but, as you say, the image is not very clear.

I shall keep in touch.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member

I enlarged the photo and he certainly is wearing spurs so I guess my supposition was way out.
I do find the thought that he may have been in a cavalry unit a bit strange as, from my limited knowledge of them, they were very much London/Surrey folk, but one never knows.

I shall try the link to the badges but, as you say, the image is not very clear.

I shall keep in touch.
You could also try the forums on this site. http://www.1914-1918.net/fourteeneighteen.htm

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member

I shall keep in touch.
Hi Hennypenny,

Also the ASC could be another possibility:- http://www.1914-1918.net/ASC_HT.htm

As he appears to be so young in the picture, he could have been kept 'out of the action', but fulfilling a vital role as described in the link.

Hi Steve and Julie,

I'm currently out of action at the moment - family sickness.

I did plough through all the badges on the site and did not find one that looked like the one in the photo. Even though the enlargement was somewhat fuzzy, there were some obvious things to look for viz. It is almost round, the crown (?) on top is not large and, so far as I could see, there were only two open pieces in the badge. I shall try again when I have more time. I shall also look at the new sites you recommended.

I did wonder, because of his youth, whether or not he may have been the equivalent of a student 'cadet'. I know for certain that an uncle of mine was a 'cadet' in Edinburgh and wore a Royal Scots type uniform.

I shall keep you informed.

regards,
Penny

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Steve and Julie,

I'm currently out of action at the moment - family sickness.

I did plough through all the badges on the site and did not find one that looked like the one in the photo. Even though the enlargement was somewhat fuzzy, there were some obvious things to look for viz. It is almost round, the crown (?) on top is not large and, so far as I could see, there were only two open pieces in the badge. I shall try again when I have more time. I shall also look at the new sites you recommended.

I did wonder, because of his youth, whether or not he may have been the equivalent of a student 'cadet'. I know for certain that an uncle of mine was a 'cadet' in Edinburgh and wore a Royal Scots type uniform.

I shall keep you informed.

regards,
Penny
Hi Penny,
I had a look on 'the' on-line auction site and found an image of the ASC cap badge.
There is a very close resemblance to the one in your picture.
There are also a few on 'google images'.
The Army Service Corp had horsed transport companies, so that might explain the spurs as well.
The age was sort of an issue, but the government of the day did turn a blind eye as regarding age. Also, young lads also lied to get into the Army for whatever reason.

I do hope the family sickness is not too serious.

Minden

If I didn't know better I might suggest he was in the Mounted Military Police; the badge looks right, although I can't find a decent image on the net, and the armbands may be indicative of a special function/freedom to roam behind the lines.

Thanks for pointing me to this thread, Steve ;)

Edited to add: These are the people to ask:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=23

A recent thread went from "Anyone know anything about this man with this service number?" to a full description of his military history, including photos, his family tree back to 1800 and the name of the bloke who was standing next to him when he was killed. Post the picture there and you'll probably know his shoe size before teatime.

Penny, do you have any possible names for this individual? The Medal cards can be quite useful, even if there's no service record available. Even if it's a relatively common name, or he's one of three possible candidates, we could thin it down quite quickly based on the uniform. It would also help a lot if you knew if the person in question was killed during the war, but I guess you may not have that information.

Last edited:
hello Penny If the armbands were white over blue [i know you can't tell] but if they were then they would be somthing to do with signals maybe a dispatch rider the reson they were worn by dispatchriders is to stop them being impeaded in their urgent duty of comunication hope this is helpful Jon

tiddy30

Hi have u looked in to the possibility of it being the royal army veterinary corps? the badge on his cap looks like it resembles the AVC badge and would maybe explain the spurs too,just a thought.:)

apm1181

hi
cap badge looks a bit like the army service corps
perhaps was a messenger on horse back. ?. the cap badge is 90% certain, although the royal canadian army badge is very similar
hope that helps
andy

Braveheart

Hi hennypenny do you this soldier ,name or even his army number.
If you have his name we could search for his service record that will give us the regiment he served with
Cheers braveheart