• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WW1 Wills

I have requested my Great Uncle Herbert Thomas Bustin's will, He was killed in Loos, France on the 11 April 1918, hopefully it will tell me more about the family as they adopted my fathers sister in 1914. Its going to be a long 10 days.

Hi I received the copy of the will last night, I would add it here for you all to see but it exceeds the limit for the forum but apart from that it gives his regiment number it just says he leaves all his goods to his wife Rosemary Bustin of Oxford, Sad that he died so near the end though :(

leefer

Loyal Member
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/652340/FERRIS, J

Just six weeks before the wars end.

I am led to believe he was one of about only 50 men to survive the Hants Regiment....so was transfered to the Wilts regiment.

Four years of dodging shrapnell and his luck runs out in Egypt:mad:

There was always a slight doubt in my mind that John was my great uncle...now i know for sure(thanks to all) i will get his will....like Gwen did.

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Grandfathers WW1 will arrived today, not much extra information on there and the only bit he did was to sign it, still its more of him then I had already.
He died 3 months before the cease fire. Although his medals card says he died a year earlier!(mistakes are everywhere in genealogy)

Peter

ptjw7

Loyal Member
Done a little more digging into grandfathers will, looking at the witnesses.
First one John Lonsdale outlived the war but died just before the second in 1939.
The other Charles Swansbury died 4 sept 1918, so he out lived grandfather by a month!

Only thing I've had no luck with is his Executor an Arthur Pettington of 18 South Street, Ponders End, Middlesex.
I can find no trace of this person.

peter

Last edited:
Hi All,
following on from my earlier post of the will I am trying to trace if the house where my Great uncle lived with his wife Rosanna Bustin, I read it as 22 Dukes Street, New Botley, Oxford. Does it still exist, I have tried google but the nearest I can find is Duke Street, Oxford is this the same ? I know Botley is on the outskirts of Oxford, How would I find out if he owned the house and his previous occupation, I can't afford ancestry membership now.

Thank you Gwen

leefer

Loyal Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botley_Road

Hi Gwen...yes Duke Street is still in Botley(its listed in the link above),in the time of the census Botley would have been a seperate village from Oxford with fields and farms separating it from the main City of Oxford....Duke Street is still in Botley.
I drive past it very often .
Botley these days has been gobbled up by the City of Oxford and is more or less a district of Oxford now.
The River Osney runs through Botley and it was very close to Duke Street where the first 4 min mile was run by Bannister at nearby Iffley running track(this was used by the many colleges in those days)
Below is a small photo of the kind of house found in Duke Street today number 7 just up from your relly's house at 22....kind of up market larger terrace house.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...QsUoaoAZHA7AbA7YGoBQ&ved=0CE4Q9QEwCQ&dur=3120

Also below Gwen is a nice picture of Herbert Thomas Bustin who died during WW1(as you know)...his place of birth is more or less in the Botley area...his wife was still at Duke Street in 1928,ten years after Herbert was killed.
Think he is remembered in the local church war memorial and of course as it says on the panel at Loos.

Edit...just noted it is him living at 22 Duke Street...apologies!
Some nice info on there about his life...no doubt you have seen this but put the link up in case you havn't seen the photo...his job etc certainly ties in with what i was saying about Botley being seperate from Oxford in those days.

http://www.oxfordhistory.org.uk/war/stfrideswide/index_list.html

All the best...Lee

Last edited: