• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Ww1

Re: WW1

Steve, Dave, Lee and Gortonboy - I'm overwhelmed by your offers of help.
Sorry Steve, I meant to add the battalion number to Kings Royal Rifles when I said I couldn't find a reference to it.
To enlarge a little.... The NA said I needed the battalion number to enable me to find files and it gave me WO 329/1519. You have now told me that this is a NA reference number which makes sense.
Does this help? I have Battalion WO329, WO95 and Catalogue no. WO 372/1 all supplied by NA. Because of the WO prefix I gather these too are NA references but hope they have more significence to you.

Backtracking a bit -I know that my father Ernest Thomas Aylott, a corporal fought in France. A bullet skimmed his head and dazed he staggered in the direction of the enemy only to be saved by a mate who dragged him back. He didn't receive a pension and was in good health until he died suddenly in 1943. The WW2 sounds of war obviously affected him and I believe could well have contributed to his death. I know that only officers records are kept but that there are exceptions and my father's injury might have been recorded. Even if not, I's still like to find out the activities of his regiment inThe Kings Royal Rifles.
I really appreciate any help you can give.
Sylvia

gortonboy

Loyal Member
hi,,heres a link to his medal card record on the national archives site,,you can download it for a couple of quid,or get it off Ancestry if you have a subscription,,,,this will only tell you his name ,number,medals awarded,and sometimes mentions awards of a Swb or Silver war badge if he was wounded,,it will also tell you which theatre of war he entered. Now that you have his service number,you can search Ancestry and see if his service record survives,,,only about 30 percent did.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...asp?Edoc_Id=1220491&queryType=1&resultcount=3

gortonboy

Loyal Member
WO95 is the national archives heading for war diaries,,,but you really need the battalion he was in to see if a war diary exists for that particular battalion. The war diaries are unlikely to mention a serviceman by name,but would give you a general idea of what the battalion were doing.

I already have a Medal Card - no Silver Medal though and nothing to indicate Battalion or Regiment.
I visited the NA's as I was told that I needed a Battalion Number and was given WO 329/1519. I found this ( there were about 300 pages) and as an assistant told me that I could find them on-line for £3.50 decided to do just that but have been unable to locate them, hence my recourse to Family History.
I appreciate your help. Sylvia

gortonboy

Loyal Member
It is the war diaries that can be downloaded for £3.50 online,,,but as i said,,you really need to know his battalion,or the infantry division he was in in order to download the correct one.

dochines

Valued Member
I think the Medal Roll lists him as Corporal Ernest T Aylott with a regimental no of 3231 in the Kings Royal Rifles.
He was awarded the Victory and British Medal

Sadly I cannot find any record of his service in the burnt records or the pension records. A large number are known to have been destroyed and the surviving burnt records are far from complete

Armed with his date of birth and regimental number 3231 the regimental records might be able to supply more but do not hold your breath!

May be worth looking to see what the regiment was doing itself in WW1 and that in turn will give clues as to where he might have been and where he fought.

dochines