• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

WWI information

dochines

Valued Member
Hi Katie,

I have some ww1 postcards as well The troops were only allowed to put greetings on them. They were forbidden to say where they were and what they were doing. Censorship was very strict and the soldiers would be in serious trouble for saying more.

They really only told relatives they were stilll alive somewhere in France

dochines

leefer

Loyal Member
Hi Leefer:
Interesting comment. Thanks!
No, Dad wasn't on the run - nothing quite so exciting. His Uncle and Aunt had immigrated to Canada in 1920, my Great Uncle having taken advantage of a land grant following his service with the Royal Navy. They farmed but had no children, and my Dad was sent over to help them.
Both my parents died when I was quite young and I, unfortunately, had little contact with my relatives in England, so I really don't know much beyond that.
Again, thanks for your thoughts.
Katie
Well i hope you can get more info and get a clearer picture of your rellies.

dochines

Valued Member
Hi Katie,

I have been out to take the photos for you this evening. Can you send me a PM with your email address so I can send them to you please?

I was amused that the site of the Peacock and Royal hotel is now a Boots. a chain of pharmacies in the UK. I thought the name particulaly appropriate in view of grandfathers occpation.

The Royal bit of the Peacock was apparently added when the Duke Of Edinbugh stayed there ( not the present one but a son of Queen Victoria)

Shod Friars lane has an interesting origin. In the 13th Century there were two main Friarys in Boston and they had considerable importance. One group the Dominicans wore black and had sandles on their feet, ie they were shod. The Carmlite Friars wore white and went bare foot. The Dominican Friary was founded in 1222, but was mostly burnt down in a fire which destroyed much of the town in 1288. the Friary was rebuilt but ultimately dissolved in 1539 and the land given to the Duke of Suffolk. The refectory fascade still remains and now is The Blackfriars Arts centre

I have good pictures of Shodfriars Lane and Shodfriars Hall. James St has mostly been redeveloped so I was not able to identify individual homes but have some general views St Johns Road has no homes left in it other than the harbour masters house. It has been cleared and replaced by some light industry, but there is a very pleasant park that the family would have used

Hope you will like the pictures to illustrate you family history with

Best wishes

Ken