• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

X's typed over name

gibbo

Loyal Member
This might not be possible but .....

Can anyone read what names are under the x's please.

This is off a Australian army record of Wilfred Clayton WW1. These names have been crossed out and his foster mother's name entered. As there is no birth reg. for this fellow im hoping the names crossed out might be his late parents names maybe, which if can be read might help me find more out about him. Wildred couldnt write as he signed his papers with a X. I was wondering if he gave his birth parents names as next of kin and then they realising his parents were dead they then crossed it out and entered his foster mother's name.

To me the first names looks like Wilfred Clayton and the second name looks like Charlotte Clayton.
Would be grateful for any opinions please.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
Thanks all.

I dont have a great deal on him really. I am only going by whats on his army records.
Born around 1893 in Surat QLD and is half caste and died in WW1 France March 1917 killed in action. Buried in France.
He was fostered/ adopted by James and Isabella Laycock in Roma QLD.
I just thought it would be nice to find something out on this young fella as i feel he was part of the family, yet he isnt named anywhere in the Laycock family history, that i can find anyway.
This is part of one of the letters in his records.

Last edited:

gibbo

Loyal Member
All i can say is well done to the Laycocks,must have got abuse from family and friends back then adopting an Aboriginie.
Yes no doubt they would have had some comments along the way:mad:

I dont usually wonder off the direct line this much but i think its well worth trying to find out something about Wilfred.