• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

Yorkshire to US in late 1700's

laxdoc

A family leaving from Yorkshire going to baltimore , Maryland, US in early/mid 1700's how would they go via which port? Did the ports keep records of people leaving and on what ship? i belive the name spelling was changed at Baltimore and family kepth the new spelling. I know this happened at New York at Ellis Island in 1800's. I want to see if checking the exit port will give me a diferent spelling of Foy that was use in Yorkshire.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
A family leaving from Yorkshire going to baltimore , Maryland, US in early/mid 1700's how would they go via which port? Did the ports keep records of people leaving and on what ship? i belive the name spelling was changed at Baltimore and family kepth the new spelling. I know this happened at New York at Ellis Island in 1800's. I want to see if checking the exit port will give me a diferent spelling of Foy that was use in Yorkshire.
Hi laxdoc, I'm not sure if I like the sound of that name.:biggrin: :biggrin:

I would think Liverpool would be a candidate, as it would be nearest. Why travel an extra 180 miles to achieve the same result.
Having said that, Bristol, Portsmouth are also possible but further away.

As for Foy, try this:-

http://www.surnamedb.com/links.aspx?name=Foy

http://www.britishsurnames.co.uk/surname/FOY

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/foy-family-crest.htm

http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/liverpooldocks.html

Steve.:)

Last edited:

laxdoc

Thanks Steve
The family speak of a french hugnot conection. But have a marage to a Sara Miles in Yorkshire . Have family going the North Carolina son Thomas. So have problem going back form Baltimore to England where ever.
again thanks for the sites will dig away.
charles

duckweed

Loyal Member
I would have thought they could have gone by Hull as there was definitely a route to America then. Do you know what part of yorkshire? What trade did they have?

duckweed

Loyal Member
I had a quick scout around, there are a few Foys in Lincolnshire but on the Humber (leading to Hull) One marriage of a female in Doncaster (Don navigation leads to Humber and Hull) and one marriage in 1725 of a Henry Foy who married a Isabel Scott at York (also would go to Hull. Most Foys up north seem to be in Lancashire. Have you got anymore details to go on?

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
I think maybe a sense of logic dictates any route, according to destination.

As now, if going to Europe, you sailed from east or south east coastal ports.

If going west (America) you would probably leave from a west/south west port.
Why would anyone sail from an eastern port, and travel further to go west.

The only reason would be cost.

As an extreme example, would anyone sail from say, Liverpool or Glasgow to go to Calais. I think not. But you would go from Dover or Portsmouth.

laxdoc

:confused: This is the family at of one of the houses i guide at. i got to read some of the old doc. I am going to start again. I found that if going by what was said, then he was 23(about) and she was 13(about) when landing in Baltimore with two children 4 and 5. I can go from North carolina to Baltimor with one of the sons, but then the story given on the tour does not track before Baltimore. Nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

duckweed

Loyal Member
Family first names or Christian names are important when tracking families as they generally have a pattern that is the same names occur again and again. If there is any surname used as a first name or middle name that could give a clue to the female line. Also what religion were they. Certain religious groups are better documented than others. For instance in Amsterdam there is a presbyterian church which has a list of english people who went to America from there. I think most were from Lincolnshire there. Yorkshire is a big county and there are many ports they could go from. There is Lancaster, Whitehaven and Workington, on the northwest, Liverpool could be a port if they were connected to the Foys in Eccleston and Wigan, then there is Hull, Grimsby etc. The roads were not great so it would be a matter of what port they could physically reach even if the sea route might be longer though of course like the Amsterdam ones they could have done a short voyage and then a longer one. Were they wealthy or did they go as servants to someone else. Did they have a trade such as blacksmith?

laxdoc

The son Thomas came to North Carolina and had a travan and ferry across a river. Also had land. His son James 1st Miltlia officer in Revolutionary war and had a plantation. His son James 2nd brought the place were I guide in 1793.
I think the family came to US in 1600's vice 1700's. The family story about Baltimore is fuzzie. One of the family said that Francis had indenture himselve to get over, another has him arriving with wife and children with his in-laws. He has land and house soon after landing. There is a story that Franes was from France. I think i will begin with North Carolina were I have good records then go into skyblue past. I have a feeling that I will be asking a lot of questions, so please keep giving the help. This searching the past is great fun, but is also a headache. So again thanks.:confused:

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
The son Thomas came to North Carolina and had a travan and ferry across a river. Also had land. His son James 1st Miltlia officer in Revolutionary war and had a plantation. His son James 2nd brought the place were I guide in 1793.
I think the family came to US in 1600's vice 1700's. The family story about Baltimore is fuzzie. One of the family said that Francis had indenture himselve to get over, another has him arriving with wife and children with his in-laws. He has land and house soon after landing. There is a story that Franes was from France. I think i will begin with North Carolina were I have good records then go into skyblue past. I have a feeling that I will be asking a lot of questions, so please keep giving the help. This searching the past is great fun, but is also a headache. So again thanks.:confused:

Hi laxdoc, any slave registers there. Could also be worth a look.

laxdoc

Steve
Thomas, James 1st, James 2nd, Joseph m., and Joseph t. had slaves. Not sure about Maryland. The family storys are mixed. Frances had land in Maryland and Thomas was able to buy land, set up the ferry and build a tavaran. His son James 1 had a plantation and his son James 2 brough the plantation were i guide in 1793. He and his son did a lot of land deals ending with about 1200 to 1600 acres of land. The deeds are nuts, i.e.; from the black oak stump 30 chains and 35 links to the post by the mill pond. The stump and post are long gone, there is no direction given for the 30 chains. The deeds say x amount of acres, but the tax records tax land under culivation not in woods or fallow.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve
Thomas, James 1st, James 2nd, Joseph m., and Joseph t. had slaves. Not sure about Maryland. The family storys are mixed. Frances had land in Maryland and Thomas was able to buy land, set up the ferry and build a tavaran. His son James 1 had a plantation and his son James 2 brough the plantation were i guide in 1793. He and his son did a lot of land deals ending with about 1200 to 1600 acres of land. The deeds are nuts, i.e.; from the black oak stump 30 chains and 35 links to the post by the mill pond. The stump and post are long gone, there is no direction given for the 30 chains. The deeds say x amount of acres, but the tax records tax land under culivation not in woods or fallow.
Sorry laxdoc,
I was thinking that he might have travelled 'with' his slaves, as he set up quite quickly on 'landing'.
Forgive me if I am asking wierd questions, outside the box.

laxdoc

Steve
Questions make you think. I know the North Carolina people had slaves, am checking Maryland, Thomas I think had slaves when he got to North Carolina. If not he got them very soon as tax roles show at the ferry.
Please ask questions, they may set me on a track.
Charles

Minden

Going back a bit, people may have travelled by sea the long way round, because it was safer or more comfortable than travelling by land, even in the England of the early 18th Century. Without railways or canals, the roads were pretty poor and bumpy.

p.risboy

Loyal Member
Staff member
Steve
I hit a jackpot today. I got into the North Carolina cenus, tax roles, colony, revolutionary records, and civil war records. I have a five inch stack of paper to read. Do not have all of the info yet.
o boy
see you
Charles
Hi Charles,
You've had 4 months with that stack of paper. Have you found anything more yet.

laxdoc

Steve
I have james milatary records, he was at Battles of Moore's creek 1st rebel victory in the south, at Camden English victory, then Cowpens another rebel victory, and then Guilford Courthouse were English won the battle and lost the war.
In 1800 James had 22 slaves, a grist mill, saw mill, brickyard, blaksmith, and turptine still for the naval stores trade.
Found the short Civil War record of David Foy enlisted 12 march 1862 back home 1st june 1862, and dead of tyhford 7 june.
I am only a 1/3 thru stack.
Charles