• Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

You may get a few shocks

duckweed

Loyal Member
I've found that now I've been a researching my husbands tree and assisting my brother research ours that if you are dealing with more recent family members a bit of tact may be needed. I did a bit of research for my mother in law and found that her fathers sister was his half sister and he only arrived a month after her grandparents marriage. Her great grandmother ended up in an asylum. Happily she didn't find it too distressing but I can't bring myself to tell one of my husbands aunts that one of the family was she was convinced was married was never married. On my side of the family I have 3 family members who were drunken violent thieving convicts. On the plus side I have found a prominent Chartist who was against violence and a sailor in the battle of trafalgar.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Hi Duckweed

Which one was the eldest out of the sister of you mother in laws father. Was the sister born before or after the bopy who was born a month after the wedding? What makes you think they were just half siblings?

Ben

That ok duckweed,

I think I had a serial killer in my past,:eek: he had 5 wives and all had died before they were married three years and surprisingly :eek: none of the kids seem to live very long either, so.... he was either finishing them off himself somehow or he was the lucklyest or unlucklyest guy I have ever found anything out about. Never convinced of anything but..... 5 even back then would make me question it.:cool: Joyce

duckweed

Loyal Member
Hi Benny The half sister was born 3 years before they married in a totally different county and under the Mothers maiden name. There is no evidence that the mother and father knew each other at that time. The younger brother my mother in laws father was born just after the Wedding. Evidence seems to point to the Father coming out of the Navy to working on a building project where the brides brother was also working. Future census records still have half sister under Mother's surname but this wasn't known to my mother in law.