• Welcome to Family History Forum 🔎

Dive into a community where unraveling family history is a shared passion. Here, real people collaborate, offering advice, insights, and support in navigating the rich tapestry of genealogy. Engage in vibrant discussions, pose questions, or celebrate your latest findings on our active message boards.

Whether you're piecing together ancestry or breaking through brick walls in your research, our forum is your essential resource 📚

Join fellow family historians in this journey, where every story uncovered strengthens the bonds that connect us all 🔗

Family History UK
  • Do you love Genealogy? Why not write for us? we're looking for volunteers to write articles for Family history. Please contact us for further information.

You never know what you will find with genealogy.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
Sometimes I do general checkups of passenger list databases to see if I can find any more ancestor brothers and sisters emigrating. Well I found my great grandfather's brother Nathan James Stock born 1877 in Leigh Essex arrived in Canada in April 1910 on board the Southwark steamship. It said he was married, aged 34, brickmaker from England, a Wesleyan.

He was back in England by the 1911 census. He went on his own to Canada it seems. Maybe he went to check Canada out, decided it was not for him and his family and returned to England.

Now I can look for the outgoing passenger list and the incoming lists back to England inbetween April 1910 and 1911.

benny1982

Loyal Member
Staff member
I assume he went to Canada temporarily to do a job out there if he was a bricklayer. The passenger list says his destination was Toronto even though he disembarked at Halifax. Maybe he had a job offer and went out there to help build something. The passenger list says he did not intend to stay there permanently and it says he intended to be a bricklayer upon his arrival in Canada. Interesting.